PUBLISHING & GRAPHIC DESIGN
Search for other desktop publishing resources:
A Handy Guide
D.T.P. Window To The Past!
Please e-mail me or use my
comment card if you have, or know of, a URL that should be in my list. Thanks.
- Apple Computer
- First, a link to the computer company that started it all.
- Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Maker of Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker, fonts, etc. etc.
- MacWorld Online
- Okay, sigh....So I don't read MacUser anymore, but only because it was swallowed...er...merged
with MacWorld. Many of the stories are available here, plus other nifties not available with the print version.
- Crayola Crayons
- Some may say this is early stone-age D.T.P., but I've seen (and accomplished) amazing things with
crayons, wrinkled paper, and a scanner!
- Technical support, tips, an internet tour, and information about computer training classes.
- Offering interactive and content-laden services and resources for design professionals, hacks, and
amateurs. Home of fontsOnline.
- The Desktop
- This site contains examples of cool audio, visual and multimedia design. You'll also find tips and
tricks for using the most common design tools for computers; software like Photoshop, QuarkXpress, Pagemaker, and
Illustrator. You'll also find regular reviews of media: print, music, video...
- Desktop Publishers Journal
- An online companion to the same-named print version, a monthly magazine which provides the
desktop publishing market with information to take advantage of emerging publishing and multimedia strategies.
- Arguably the most comprehensive compilation of online desktop publishing resources.
- Digital Media Monthly
- I really recommend this monthly electronic newsletteralso e-mailable. It is published by
Scott and Michael Kleper. The web pages are one portion of the PrinterPort
page, which appears to be a growing collection of media sites. Also available from this site is Scott Kleper's
KlepHacks Shareware, where you'll find several nifty utilities
including my favorite, HTML Markupa wonderful text-to-HTML utility.
- DTP Internet Jumplist
- This DTP way station links you to graphics resources across the Internet, including pointers to FAQs,
clip art, and discussion groups.
- Get Info Newsletter highlights
- Get Info was a free, monthly newsletter for Desktop Publishing professionals looking for tips
& tricks, however I've not seen any updates in a while. All the issues which were published are in this link, though,
and there is some very worth-while information.
- Graphion Typesetting
- Be sure to look at their online type museum. REALLY cool.
- Haywood & Sullivan
- Be sure to check their scanning tips section!
- History of Desktop Publishing
- Easily one of the better write-ups that I've seen regarding the advent of computerized desktop publishing.
- Design and marketing ideas for desktop publishers, web designers, and the businesses they promote.
- Macintosh Graphics News
- What MacInTouch is for Macintoshes, Mac Graphics News
is for graphic designers. Daily news regarding graphic design.
- Pagemaker Tips & Tricks
- A perpetual list of most-asked questions on how to do specific tasks and take care of errors and problems.
- Prepress/D.T.P. Center
- A large collection of great links covering subjects such as Clip Art, Vendors & Manufacturers, Service
Bureaus, Graphic Artists & Freelancers, Training Organizations, Trade Associations, Prepress Related JumpLists, and more.
- Publish RGB
- Online companion to the definitive magazine devoted to electronic publishing professionals. From
design through prepress to printing and electronic distribution.
- The Scanning FAQ
- Improve your skills at creating great halftones.
- An interactive experience of type and typography, illustrating the beauty, poetry, complexity, and
history of type, and raising relevant questions about how typography is treated in the digital media, specifically online.
A continuous work in progress.
- Warren Idea Exchange
- Warren is a large manufacturer of coated free-sheet paper. The Idea Exchange is the place to turn for
design samples and inspiration.
- Worsley Press
- See the Newsletter Production for Pagemaker section.
- Anton's Freehand Page
- Probably the only stop you'll need for Macromedia Freehand.
- Freehand Professional Tips & Tricks
- More information about Freehand.
- Kai's Power Tips & Tricks for PhotoShop
- It's Kai'Nuff said.
- MetaTools Inc.
- MetaTools is the company that makes the Kai's PowerTools (KPT) Plugins, KPT Bryce, and KPT
PowerGoo, just to name a few. This site is packed with tips & tricks for graphics and effects. Be sure to download the
free demo plug-ins they offer!
- Ventana PhotoShop f/x Companion
- Intended as a supplement to the book (available here) but useful in it's own right too.
- Photoshop Web Reference
- I really can't say much more about this site than the title gives all by itself. There are very good
- The PAGEMAKR ListServ Web Page
- Web site for the PAGEMAKR mailing list, an internet resource for desktop publishers, particularly
users of Adobe Pagemaker software. The subscription base varies from 700-2,000 with a core of wonderfully
knowledgeable and helpful users. Mail messages can be received as they are posted or once daily as a digest.
- Unofficial Pagemaker FTP site
- Pretty good Mac and Windows stuff in here, including a utility to convert PM3 documents to PM5.
- Quark, Inc.
- Quark XPress "XPresso Bar"
- XChange Online!
- I know very little about Quark XPress, but I agree that even though Pagemaker has a simpler user
interface and works fine for the 1 or 2-color work I usually do, Quark is the better choice for full-color work and
sophisticated page imposition. I include these links for completeness.
||Commercial Companies & Products:
- Publishing interactive CD-ROM tutorials on digital color and offering a changing selection of ideas on
established publishing techniques and emerging technologies.
- A Guide to Digital Pictures & More, but to be precise it is a Guide to Adobe Photoshop, Fractal Design
Painter, MetaTools KPT & Other Visual Delights.
- Edgerton-Bond Image Design
- Kevin and Mark are friends of mine who have worked with my office for years and designed our
- Griff Graphic Design & Consulting
- Specializing in web site creation and maintenance.
- Jerron Quality Color
- Prepress, printing, and web design for magazine and catalog publishers. This site also features exclusive
- Laurie McCannaDesign & Illustration
- Home of the Free Art website. Includes links of design illustrations and Photoshop tips.
- Linographics Inc. is a systems integrator and re-seller as well as a service bureau. They specialize in
graphics, screenprinting, and signage markets since 1967. They offer: Computer Sales & Training, Authorized Apple Service,
and Mac & Windows PostScript Output.
- Lioncom Design
- Desktop publishing, graphics and printing services, scanning, printing, collating, packaging, labels,
shrinkwrapping, bulk media, drop shipping, folding, web page creations.
- Serif, Inc.
- Products for Desktop Publishing and Graphic Design.
- Soft Centre's LazaLabels
- for InkJet-style printers.
- A+ Art
- Free clip art, icons, backgrounds, buttons, bars, animated GIFs, photos, etc.
- BJDesign Clip-Art/Maps
- Maps, clip art, products and services for desktop publishing, multimedia and web page development.
- Carol's Clipart Collection
- A clip art collection with some flags and numerals I like. Also check her links to other clip art sites under
her art categories.
- The Clip Art Connection
- The self-proclaimed "Clip Art Treasure Chest."
- Cool Graphics on the Web
- A very exhaustive collection of clip art sites. There's also a section for fonts.
- Graphic Design Schools on the Web
- A list of graphic design educational programs with World Wide Web accessible information.
- Sandra's Clip Art Server
- A large, rather well-known site for a wide variety of art. There's a good collection of links to other art
I thought I was pretty bad about collecting fonts until a I discovered that my friend, Andy, has a credo:
He who dies with the most fonts, wins! To that end, here is
Andy's font links collection from his personal web page.
- Adobe Type Browser
- Adobe fontsthat should be enough explanation!
- Fontaholics Anonymous
- Freeware, free commercial, and shareware fonts and utilities for Mac and PCwith hundreds of
- The online source for Alphabets, Inc.new releases, third party fonts and typography resources.
Provided by designOnline.
- Another popular site for fonts. Follow their clues and you can download free fonts.
- Phil's Fonts, Inc.
- "One can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many fonts!" I am very impressed by this site. It is very